Cherries and chocolate – a marriage made in heaven! Beautiful summer cherries are plentiful at the moment here in N.Z. Cherries contain powerful antioxidants that help reduce inflammation, aid in sleep, help with joint pain and have many other benefits. Add to that the powerful cacao packed full of magnesium to enhance mood, regulate sleep, and contribute to a healthy heart and brain.
I was given a lovely box of Central Otago cherries so I decided to make this delicious raw treat again. It’s really fun to make and oh so delicious. You could use it as a special occasion cake for a birthday or just because….
You Will Need:
1 ½ cups raw almonds
½ cup desiccated coconut
8 medjool dates (soaked for 10 minutes in hot water)
3 tbsp cacao powder
pinch of Himalayan sea salt
and an 18cm (7 inch) spring form pan.
3 cups cashews
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup coconut cream
2 tbsp cacao butter (melted)
¼ cup maple syrup
Juice of 1 lemon
1 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup water
Cherry and Chocolate Filling
½ of vanilla filling
3 tablespoons cacao powder
16 cherries (you could add more if you like)
What To Do:
The night before:
Soak 3 cups of cashews in water overnight.
The next day:
- Drain the cashews and set aside.
- Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Place the almonds, coconut, cacao powder, and salt in a food processor or high-powered blender and grind.
- Press your nut and date mixture evenly onto the bottom of your spring form pan.
- Pop your base in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Blend or process all the filling ingredients until smooth.
- Put half the filling into a bowl. Add the (filling) cacao powder and cherries.
- This is the fun bit! I used to make marble cake like this with my mum and loved this bit. (Cake wasn’t as healthy as this one :). Take your base out of the fridge and place one dessertspoon of vanilla filling and then one dessertspoon of chocolate and cherry filling, another dessertspoon of vanilla filling, chocolate and cherry filling, and so on until all the mixture is in the springform pan.
- Let gravity work its magic, you don’t need to shake and tap the pan.
- Place the cake in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the freezer, slice some extra cherries and place in the middle of the cake, and add some flowers or other decorations.
- Transfer to the fridge for an hour.
- Remove from the fridge when you are ready to serve, pop your candles on and voila!Happy Birthday! OR decorate any way you like for another celebration or just because…